Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Am I A Cowboy's Wife?

Is my husband a cowboy?? This is a question for anyone out there that knows Del. If in fact, he is a cowboy, then I am a cowboy's wife. And what a wild ride life has been emotionally, physically, mentally, spiritually, and in all other possible ways.

Del has a hard time defining himself as a cowboy (I think most cowboys do...it sounds too much like a childhood dream), but insists upon living what I would call a western cowboy lifestyle!?. In order to come to the bottom of this issue for myself, I looked up a definition of cowboy on the web.

First, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary's definition:


Main Entry: 1cow·boy
Pronunciation: \-ˌbȯi\
Function: noun
Date: 1623

1: one who tends cattle or horses ; especially : a usually mounted cattle-ranch hand


2: a rodeo performer


3: one having qualities (as recklessness, aggressiveness, or independence) popularly associated with cowboys: as a: a reckless driver b: a business or businessperson operating in an uncontrolled or unregulated manner.


Okay, so 1: we have three horses, four cows and maybe two more calfs on the way come spring(not an exorbitant amount, but considering he works in town as an attorney); 2: this August, he entered the Hamilton Rodeo here in Montana and took fourth in the first round with a 5.6 second run; and 3: umm... we won't go into too much detail, but yes, recklessness, aggressiveness, and independence are qualities that have been displayed all too frequently in the past nine and a half years of marriage. In my mind, he fits the definition and therefore would be a 'cowboy' and I a cowboy's wife. I can't go as far yet as claiming the title of 'cowgirl.'

Why you may ask does all this matter? Because I have a purpose for this blog (if I can stay on course). I have always wanted to write down my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and anything else that floats in and out of my overflowing mind to come to some conculsion of what defines ME. This is life through my eyes.






No comments: