Sunday, November 23, 2008

She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy.....

I met Del (my hubby of 9 1/2 yrs.) when I was 18 years old, just short of one month after moving out of my parent's house. I moved down to Tucson from my beloved hometown of Pinetop to attend the University of Arizona. I was never, and I mean NEVER going to be that girl who got married right out of high school. I was going somewhere and was going to be somebody. That didn't last long and six months after dating, we were engaged. That's not to say it was an easy decision and one I didn't wrestle with from the day we just knew. I was too young to get married and yet not ready to lose him to an unknown future. It is amazing how when you find the one you love, your future just molds around to include him and sacrifices anything and everything.

Del and I spent a good part of our courtship on a tractor and yes, I did think his tractor was sexy! Lucky him! It even happened to be the year Kenny Chesney's song came out...how ironic. I would ride on the buddy seat of the tractor on Saturday's and Sunday's after church. He would drive doing whatever it was that needed doing and I hung out. I do have to thank Del for the great grades I got in Spanish thanks to his tutoring on those rides. Between dates in the tractor and dates that he fell asleep in my dorm while I did homework, we fell head over heels in love. It wasn't until after we were married that I realized the amount of sleep this guy really needs and that his sleeping all the time wasn't so much fun....it kind of became lonely. I slowly learned what being a farmer's wife was going to be like. Ups and downs, early to rise, early to bed...not by choice, just by being human. I remember this one time he came home, dropped his dirty clothes by the door, got a popsicle to eat, sat down to eat it, finished it and fell asleep before dinner and didn't wake up. He eventually made his way to the bed and I admit, I was pretty irritated.

Thank goodness for the darn sexy tractors he had to drive day in and day out...it kept the irritation at bay! I have lots of great pictures of these days, but they are on film and I don't have a scanner.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I am having fun watching your blog grow! However I am disappointed that you have not put up the picture I fixed up for you with the letters down below!!! Lol... I keep checking and checking...and now i'm thinking...duh why don't I just do it for you?! lol! oh p.s. I do want to see your tractor pic's I think I have only seen a couple...if that.

janet said...

I loved reading this! I am sure I have heard your story first hand, but isn't it crazy that we make such BIG decisions at such a young age? You did good, though, Nicole! And we all know that Del totally lucked out. When you know, you just know!